What is the best post in SSC CGL?
Well, what you regard as the best may be subjective. For some the best paying job is the best, for others the job that allows them to stay at their own city, and for others a job that offers the best work-life balance.
Though it would be almost impossible to cover all these dimensions in detail in one article, we will at least try to list down a few SSC CGL posts that are considered better in these dimensions.
Just keep in mind that you may not find all of these in one job – a job may be good salary-wise but bad when it comes to transfers or work-life balance, etc.
- Which post in SSC CGL has the highest salary or power?
- Which post in SSC CGL allows us to stay in hometown?
- Which post in SSC CGL has the least workload?
- Best SSC – CGL jobs : Our Conclusion
Which post in SSC CGL has the highest salary or power?
Though we should choose a job that suits our personality and wherein we may work efficiently. A job which gives us the most satisfaction and wherein we may utilize our skills and knowledge. However, some candidates look for jobs that offer the most salary or which gives us a feel of power and esteem in society.
Well, which criteria is more important to you in life will depend on your personality, upbringing, and mindset.
Herein we are listing the SSC-CGL jobs that offer the most handsome bucks and/or the most powerful position.
- Assistant Section Officer in Ministry of External Affairs: You will get a real good salary here, especially if you are posted in a good foreign country.
- Assistant Audit Officer and Assistant Accounts Officer in Indian Audit & Accounts Department under C&AG : A lot of financial power comes with these jobs.
- Assistant Enforcement Officer in Directorate of Enforcement, and Department of Revenue: Certain amount of power comes with this job as the name suggests. An enforcer ought to have some powers, isn’t it?
- Inspector of Income Tax in CBDT: Though it’s a Group C job, and so salary will be a bit lower, a lot of power comes along with it. That’s why this is preferred by many candidates and cutoff for this post is often pretty high.
- Excise Inspector: It’s an uniformed job and with uniform comes power. However, don’t expect the same kind of power as such government servants used to enjoy in yesteryears. Nowadays, after the end of inspector raj, everything is by the book – you will need to follow the law strictly and be humble in your dealings.
- Divisional Accountant (DA): In this job, you will be the boss of the office. Here you will be an officer, and feel like one. While in many other SSC jobs you will mostly be doing clerical work.
No, not most of them. However, Assistant Audit Officer post offered by Indian Audit & Accounts Department under C&AG is a gazetted post.
Which post in SSC CGL allows us to stay in hometown?
Well, if you want to stay in your hometown or nearby, you should aim for those SSC-CGL jobs wherein you may get your state cadre and wherein you won’t be transferred out of that cadre.
Whether you get your state cadre or not will depend on your rank, and some luck. It’s not completely in our hand. But the job preference we fill is in our hand. Basically, if you want to stay near your hometown, you should aim for those jobs wherein there’s no transfer, at least not out of the state.
Some of such jobs in SSC-CGL are:
- Assistant Section Officer in Central Secretariat Service (CSS): More often than not you will be posted in Delhi. So, candidates from north India, or candidates that prefer living in metro city may opt for it. Earlier, workload used to be less in this job, but now the workload has increased. Also, there’s fixed office timing with biometric attendance.
- Assistant Section Officer in AFHQ: More often than not you will be posted in Delhi. Workload is less, but there are a lot of restrictions, e.g. mobile is not allowed, etc.
- Divisional Accountant (DA): Here you may easily get posting in home state.
Which post in SSC CGL has the least workload?
If you are looking for a job which offers a good work-life balance, i.e. low workload, then you may opt for one of the following jobs.
- Divisional Accountant (DA): You will be the boss of the office. The workload is decent. Also, here you can take some liberty and delegate some work to your juniors. You may get good vacations days, and the office time may be flexible too. You will be posted in district headquarter, so urban candidates may also prefer this for this reason.
- Auditor in CAG (don’t confuse it with Assistant Audit Officer in CAG)
Apart from these posts, the following jobs also offer a good work-life balance, however the workload will not be as less as in the posts listed above.
- Inspector (COST & Central Excise) in Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC)
- Assistant Section Officer in Ministry of External Affairs
- Inspector of Income Tax in CBDT
Some students want to take SSC jobs so as to secure their future and then study further for more competitive examinations, such as UPSC CSE. These jobs may allow you to do so to a certain extent.
However, keep in mind that office culture may change a lot depending on the attitude of the government and also your superiors. So, workload for two people working in the same department may vary drastically depending on their boss, project and the location of their offices.
Best SSC – CGL jobs : Our Conclusion
When seen holistically, these jobs may be considered as the best jobs that you may get via CCS-CGL.
Assistant Audit Officer in Indian Audit & Accounts Department under C&AG.
Earlier UPSC used to recruit for this post. But now the recruitment for this post is done through SSC-CGL. This is a gazetted post that you can get via SSC-CGL.
Herein, your responsibility would be to audit the accounts. So, a lot of financial power comes with this job.
Assistant Accounts Officer in Indian Audit & Accounts Department under C&AG.
Earlier UPSC used to recruit for this post. But now the recruitment for this post is done through SSC-CGL.
A lot of financial power comes with this job as you will be involved in work related to budgets, government bills, income tax assessment, etc.
Assistant Section Officer in Central Secretariat Service (CSS), Intelligence Bureau (IB), Ministry of Railway, Ministry of External Affairs, and AFHQ.
These posts are considered good for girls by some, as there’s not much field work and office timings are fixed too. So, people who prefer desk jobs may opt for these jobs.
More often than not you will be posted in Delhi. If you are working in Ministry of External Affairs, you may get foreign visits.
Divisional Accountant (DA)
Assistant Enforcement Officer in Directorate of Enforcement, and Department of Revenue